836 squadron transfers to Macrihanish for Deck Landing  and other Training on March 16

John Taylor's History of 836 squadron dismisses the 16-27 March at Macrihanish with:

"On 13th March we left the chastening events of our last week at Thorney Island and flew to Machrihanish where we exchanged our black Swordfish for new ones with arm camouflage, and we began anti-submarine training all over again."  

 Deck Landing Training was carried out on HMS Argus (above) which had been built in 1916 and deployed for Home training in 1943.

HMS Argus:Aircraft Carrier built by Beardmore, Glasgow after purchase by Admiralty in August 1916. She was to have been  completed as Liner CONTE ROSSO for Lloyd Subuado of Italy but work had been suspended on out break of war  in August 1914. Launched on 2nd December 1917 as the 11th RN warship  to carry the name which was first used  for a captured French privateer in 1792 and last borne by a Coastguard  Vessel built in 1904. The conversion was  completed on 16th September 1913 at a cost of  1.3M and she was extensively deployed with the Fleet until 1936  when modified for operating QUEEN BEE aircraft  served in various convoys: ATLANTIC  1941-42 - ARCTIC 1941 - MALTA CONVOYS  1942 - NORTH AFRICA  1942

The BALURE Bombing range was managed and used by the Fleet Air Arm at HMS Landrail (Macrahanish) and that land (coast!) targets were set up on Balure Marches on the west side of Kintyre,  just north of Tayinloan within the boundaries of Balure farm.  The bombing target was a structure built on top of Sgor Cainnteach,  a rock immediately out offshore.  In 1943,  a wrecked cargo steamer was placed off Gigha as a target ship.  Wrens, who came up daily from HMS Landrail at Machnhanish, staffed the observation posts.

SKIPNESS Bombing Range -  On the south side of the cemetery,  a concrete arrow,  now part overgrown but still well visible,  points southwards to the start of what was the bombing range on the east side of Kintyre.  Sunley's, an English company contracted to build all the new facilities out at Machrihanish for the RN Fleet Air Arm, were also assigned to build the area's observation posts.  All these constructions were built in a highly recognisable type of red brick, an unfamiliar building material in Kintyre.

At the end of the month, the squadron transfers to Ballykelly, Northern Ireland.